Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Use of the INFINITIVE or the GERUND

In English some verbs are followed by either the infinitive or the gerund of other verbs. 
INFINITIVE  (TO + Verb) (purpose) - GERUND (V-ing) (activity)  

Examples:
- I want / am planning/ would like / have decided   TO STUDY harder this year.
- I like / love / enjoy / hate / stopped getting up early.

USE OF  "TO + " (INFINITIVE)
·         After some verbs: want, need, plan, decide, would like, etc.
           "I want to break free".
·         After adjectives: It’s nice to meet you!
·         PURPOSE / Finality: Why do you go to the EOI? To learn English.
USE OF  "+ ING"  (GERUND)
·         After some verbs: like, enjoy, don’t mind, feel like, fancy, etc.
           "I feel like eating chocolate"
·         ACTIVITIES: Dancing is fun.
·         After prepositions: think of, interested in, good at, etc.
           I'm fond of swimming.